Advertising and Promotion
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other governmental agencies worldwide regulate the advertising and promotion of pharmaceuticals, medical devices and biologics. FDA's oversight includes print and broadcast advertising, websites, press releases, sales brochures, convention booths, and other promotional materials and activities.
Baxter's Advertising and Promotion staff manage the company's compliance with promotional regulations worldwide, reviewing marketing materials for accuracy and balance in terms of presentation of product risks and benefits. The company’s approach takes into account regulations and standards which vary by region:
- Asia Pacific - Baxter uses an electronic approval system that enables the company to comply with advertising and promotion codes, regulations and internal standards in 18 countries.
- Canada - Baxter’s advertising and promotion standards incorporate industry best practices following Pharmaceutical Advertising Advisory Board (PAAB) guidelines and are reviewed for compliance to Health Canada regulations.
- Europe - Baxter ensures that marketing materials for distribution in the region comply with applicable laws and regulations as well as with the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) Code of Practice on the promotion of prescription-only medicines to, and interactions with, healthcare professionals. The company reviews marketing materials at the pan-European level, as well as at the country level for compliance with national product licenses and local codes of practice. Baxter also adheres to the EUCOMED Code of Ethical Business Practice that covers medical devices.
- Latin America - Baxter applies standard review procedures for advertising and promotion to ensure compliance with regional and local marketing promotion codes and regulations.
- United States - Baxter’s advertising and promotion standards for all business groups incorporate industry best practices and are reviewed rigorously for compliance with applicable U.S. laws and regulations including those promulgated by the FDA and any other appropriate regulator.
See Priorities and Goals for information about Baxter's progress against its goal to continue to champion internal and industrywide ethical sales and marketing practices.
See Access to Healthcare for information about Baxter’s approach to increasing access to healthcare globally.