- EHS Program
- Environmental Performance
- Environmental Financial Statement
- Health and Safety
Environment, Health and Safety
Baxter is committed to continuous improvement in Environment, Health and Safety performance, and sets goals, measures progress and communicates results. Here a Baxter employee performs a routine inspection at the company’s Manesar, India, facility.
Baxter's Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) organization manages and coordinates global programs and activities to reduce the company's environmental impacts, to create safe and healthy workplaces, and to advance product stewardship across Baxter.
EHS results from 2012 include the following:
- Baxter reduced energy usage by 27% and associated greenhouse gas emissions by 39% since 2005, both indexed to revenue. During that period, global energy management initiatives have achieved cumulative savings of approximately $34 million on an annualized basis.
- The company reduced waste generation 23% compared to 2005, indexed to revenue. Baxter’s ongoing efforts to reduce plastic waste generation through the use of Lean and Six Sigma tools helped reduce plastic waste by more than 700 metric tons in 2012 compared to 2011 at the 19 facilities participating in the company’s plastic scrap reduction initiative.
- Baxter reduced water usage by 5% in absolute terms and 34% indexed to revenue since 2005. In 2012, the company initiated a community water project near its Canlubang, Philippines, facility and entered into a partnership to implement a project near its facility in Cuernavaca, Mexico. See Case Study: Community Water Project in Canlubang, Philippines.
- Compared to 2011, Baxter improved its recordable case rate by 5%, its cases with days lost rate by 3%, and its days lost rate by 21%.
Scope of Baxter EHS Reporting
- The environmental data included in this report are based on 115 reporting locations, of which 54 are manufacturing, 20 are warehouse, and 41 are administrative, clerical or other. Several of the reporting units comprise multiple locations that report as a single entity. For example, in 2012, 36 renal distribution facilities reported as a single entity, as did Baxter's 63 plasma collection centers in North America.
- The health and safety data included in this report are based on 270 reporting locations.1
- Regional breakdowns for EHS data are as follows: Asia Pacific; Latin America; Europe, Middle East and Africa; and North America.
- The EHS information reported covers 100% of Baxter's operations.
- EHS data are revised to reflect acquisitions, divestitures and plant closings as well as to incorporate any corrections necessary due to additional data verification activities (such as EHS audits).
|1||The scope of Baxter's health and safety data is different than the scope of the company's environmental data because Baxter's occupational injury and illness accounting includes smaller facilities that are not material to the company's overall environmental performance or are reported as individual operations rather than as combined locations.|
Facility Finds Success in Behavior-Based Safety